Project planning meeting - 1 Mar 2006
Present: Stuart Yeates (SY), Graham Klyne (GK)
This report: SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060301
Next meeting: 6 Mar 2006, 09:00 SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060306
1. Recent activity
- Initiated handover of project leadership from Matthew Dovey: Mike Fraser will be the overall project manager, with technical direction coming from the team members Stuart Yeates and Graham Klyne.
- Created wiki pages for local project presence
- Conducted survey of other Oxford VRE projects user requirements
- Mike Fraser noted in email (ref?) that SPIE have just released their uPortal/WSRP/Shibboleth integration work
2. Current activities
- SY look into creating an internal mailing list with a web-accessible archive. Also, check if there is a web-accessible archive for the Oxford VRE projects mailing list.
- User requirements analysis
- SY will prepare a diagram of research project information flows, leading to a characterization of information flow styles that can be matched agains available standards and tools. This will take into account the ongoing requirements gathering work of other Oxford VRE projects.
SY will review and distill C P Snow comments on conduct of sciences vs humantities, with a view to identiying possible divergence of requirements. (Pursuant, in part, to GK comments in a survey of local VRE user requirements (3).
- SY will undertake an initial analysis of search requirements, with a view to subsequently matching requirements against available tools. Take account of: what is being searched, where the target data is located, how and when results are required to be delivered, who has access to the results, relationships between research groups and social networks.
- GK will provide information about search use cases arising from life science research.
- Software installation
- SY will source a shared test/demonstration platform for Sakai. We intend that this will be used to maintain a stable Sakai platform against which new developments can be tested, and also to be used as the basis for demonstrating a Shibboleth federation of Sakai systems (along with the other project partners). External internet access to this platform to be investigated. Proposed software platform is Scientific Linux, latest stable release.
- GK/SY to work together to install Sakai, and document steps to achieve a stable deployment.
GK investigation of Sakai background technologies: Spring and JavaServer Faces.
GK to explore port of SPIE WSRP/Shibboleth work to Sakai (4).
- GK to explore adding Shibboleth authentication capability to Sakai
3. Summary of ongoing actions
- [GK - 20060301] Check and cross-reference original project plan
- [SY - 20060301] Project internal mailing list
- [SY - 20060306] Initial diagram of flow styles
- [SY - 20060313] Distillation of C P Snow observations
- [SY - 20060327] Analysis of search requirements
- [GK - 20060306] Outline of search requirements from life science research
- [SY - 20060306] Set up shared platform for Sakai test/demonstrator
- [GK/SY - 20060313] Install Sakai
- [GK - 20060605] Port SPIE Shibboleth/WSRP to Sakai:
-  Contact Jasper Tredgold (ILRT) to confirm availability
-  Conduct handover/briefing from Jasper
-  (Sakai installation dependency, Sakai Shibboleth authentication dependency) Install Shibboleth/WSRP software locally, and convert to work with Sakai
- [GK - 20060703] Add Shibboleth authentication to Sakai
-  Arrange discussion with SPIE team for advice on Shibboleth-enabling a web application
-  Determine requirements to run member of Shibboleth federation
-  Install Shibboleth toolkit
-  (Sakai installation dependency) Link Sakai authentication to Shibboleth
- [GK - 20060327] Investigate Sakai background technolgies (Spring, JSF)
5. Notes for next meeting
(Matters arising from the activities noted above)
- Shibboleth itself is looking very complex to install. Need to add an activity to determine requirements and installation procedure for a minimal demonstration Shibboleth deployment (i.e. not taking account of the complexities of institutional requirements, etc.).
Maybe should plant labels and anchors in the goals document SakaiVre/ProjectGoals ?
-- GrahamKlyne 2006-03-01 11:28:23