Project planning meeting - 13 Mar 2006
Present: Stuart Yeates (SY), Graham Klyne (GK)
Last report: SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060306
This report: SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060313
Next meeting: 27 Mar 2006, 9:00 SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060327
- Review agenda
- Confirm date/time of next meeting
- Review actions outstanding at last meeting
- New activities and issues arising from current work
- Discussion of specific issues
2. Activity since last report
2.1. Actions closed
[GK - 20060313] Add labels and anchors to project goals page - COMPLETED, see SakaiVre/ProjectGoals.
[SY - 20060313] Provide reference to additional inter-portlet communication work that should be taken into account in GK's inter-portlet communication note InterPortletCommunicationConsideredHarmful - COMPLETED: link provided: http://wwwhomes.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mo197/portlets/portlet_messaging/.
[SY - 20060301 -> 20060313] Project internal mailing list - COMPLETED: now exists, with archive linked from SakaiVre.
2.2. Actions progressed
- [SY - 20060306] Initial diagram of flow styles - continues.
- [SY - 20060306] Set up shared platform for Sakai test/demonstrator - still awaiting final assignment of hardware.
- [GK - 20060605] Port SPIE Shibboleth/WSRP to Sakai - GK has arranged a meeting with Jasper Tredgold, at ILRT, Bristol, for 22 Sep.
- [GK - 20060306] Outline of search requirements from life science research - have some notes from David Shotton (Zoology), and am planning to meet with Liz Benson (Zoology) to get another view of bioinformatics search requirements. No write-up yet.
2.3. New activities and notes
- Future planning meetings will be fortnightly rather than weekly.
- GK raised concerns regarding messages to mailing list being silently dropped - wants to change moderation policy. SY has added GK as list administrator; GK to explore list capabilities.
- User requirements analysis
- (No new activities)
- Software installation
- GK - engaged in email exchanges with Shibboleth developers, with a view to better understanding hiow Shibboleth may fit with Sakai.
GK - updated ShibbolethNotes to give some account of SAML and Shibboleth versions, and how they may work together
3.1. Information flows and searching
- SY noted that his thoughts on VRE information flows had been informed by his experience at the UCISA conference, and that his ideas were firming up, with particular reference to research supporting activities. GK noted that he was also expecting to meet Nikki Rogers at ILRT (when visiting jasper Tredgold), who presented at the Oxford JISC VRE conferecne about her work with SWED (Semantic Portal system, started as environmental database project at CCLRC), to repurpose it as an academic conference information system.
STUART: note SWED is based on a semantic portal system, not a blog as I said in the meeting - #g.
3.2. Inter-portlet communication
GK noted that another requirement for web view synchronization has cropped up in the IETF, in the form of a proposal to develop a distributed multimedia syncronization protocol (DMSP) -- see http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/discuss/current/msg00275.html. SY mentioned similar requirements from online gaming, and also noted that Jabber protocols might be applicable here.
4. Summary of ongoing actions
- [GK - 20060327] Look into mailing list moderation policies, and adjust to allow non-members posts to be accepted with moderation.
- [GK - 20060403] Requirements and procedure to create a minimal Shibboleth deployment
- currenrly: in discussion with Shibboleth developers
- next week: meeting with Jasper Tredgold
- [SY - 20060306] Initial diagram of flow styles
- [SY - 20060313] Distillation of C P Snow observations
- [SY - 20060327] Analysis of search requirements
- [GK - 20060306] Outline of search requirements from life science research
- [SY - 20060306] Set up shared platform for Sakai test/demonstrator
- [GK/SY - 20060313] Install Sakai
- [GK - 20060605] Port SPIE Shibboleth/WSRP to Sakai:
-  Conduct handover/briefing from Jasper
-  (Sakai installation dependency, Sakai Shibboleth authentication dependency) Install Shibboleth/WSRP software locally, and convert to work with Sakai
- [GK - 20060703] Add Shibboleth authentication to Sakai
-  Arrange discussion with SPIE team for advice on Shibboleth-enabling a web application
-  Determine requirements to run member of Shibboleth federation
-  Install Shibboleth toolkit
-  (Sakai installation dependency) Link Sakai authentication to Shibboleth
- [GK - 20060327] Investigate Sakai background technolgies (Spring, JSF)
5. Notes for next meeting
(Matters arising following the meeting)
Started on life-science use case SakaiVre/BioinformaticSearchRequirements
-- GrahamKlyne 2006-03-13 15:21:55