Project planning meeting - 27 Mar 2006
Present: Stuart Yeates (SY), Graham Klyne (GK)
Last report: SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060313
This report: SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060327
Next meeting: 10 Apr 2006, 9:00 (moved to 24 Apr) SakaiVre/PlanningProgress/20060424
- Review agenda
- Confirm date/time of next meeting
- Progress reports for JISC
- Review actions outstanding at last meeting
- New activities and issues arising from current work
- Discussion of specific issues
2. Activity since last report
2.1. Actions closed
[SY - 20060306] Initial diagram of flow styles - DONE: see SakaiVre/SearchDataModelling.
[SY - 20060306] Set up shared platform for Sakai test/demonstrator - DONE: see SakaiVre/MachineStatus (there is some ongoing platform work generally related to maintenance of a demo system).
[GK - 20060306] Outline of search requirements from life science research - have some notes from David Shotton (Zoology), and am planning to meet with Liz Benson (Zoology) to get another view of bioinformatics search requirements - DONE: see SakaiVre/BioinformaticSearchRequirements; the planned meeting with Liz Benson has been dropped for now due to lack of time.
2.2. Actions progressed
[GK - 20060605] Port SPIE Shibboleth/WSRP to Sakai - GK has held a fruitful meeting with Jasper Tredgold at ILRT: see SakaiVre/ShibbolethInstallNotes-20060322
2.3. New activities and notes
- We need to prepare a progress report for JISC. Most of the required information is in the Wiki, so it should be a case of constructing pointers to it.
SY - Stuart participated in an AccessGrid meeting with other Sakai project partners. (Notes?)
- GK proposed that we (SY+GK) should work together more closely across all project activities, rather than separate parallel activities, as we each seem to have skills and background that would contribute usefully across all areas.
- User requirements analysis
GK - attended a meeting of IBVRE project with Sakai VRE developers and other Oxford VRE projects. Some useful background discussions, but little concrete for our project. Matthew Mascord's slides: see email archive: http://maillist.ox.ac.uk/ezmlm-cgi?3855:mss:21:200603:apgiadmedhilaidphchp. Rob Allan's notes in email archive: http://maillist.ox.ac.uk/ezmlm-cgi?3855:mss:22:200603:honefggmcaedmonbgnng.
- Software installation
GK - Emails from exchange with Scott Cantor posted to project mailing lost archive. See email archive: http://maillist.ox.ac.uk/ezmlm-cgi?3855:mss:21:200603:apgiadmedhilaidphchp, http://maillist.ox.ac.uk/ezmlm-cgi?3855:mss:10:kpleekljnddfpkiodilk
GK - Meeting with Jasper Tredgold. See: SakaiVre/ShibbolethInstallNotes-20060322
GK - while visiting Bristol, I also had lunch with Nikki Rogers and Jasper Tredgold, discussing their work on semantic portals, in particular IUGO (which is based on SWED, an environmental database). I think this is a really important area for VRE tool development, and deserves higher profile than it seems to get at the moment. See: http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=vre_iugo, http://www.swed.org.uk/swed/index.html.
3.1. Search requirements
(cf. SakaiVre/SearchDataModelling). Some discussion about the extent that it makes sense to stratify metadata in the way suggested. Agree that this is an idealization, and that in practice the boundaries are not so clear, but serves as a useful model for separating concerns.
Note that parts of what were previously believed to be Bristol contribution to SPIE were actually implemented in Oxford (notably the JAAS module).
4. Summary of ongoing actions
- [GK/SY - 20060327] 11:00 today, get together to prepare progress report for JISC.
- [GK/SY - 20060327] Look into mailing list moderation policies, and adjust to allow non-members posts to be accepted with moderation.
- [GK - 20060403] Requirements and procedure to create a minimal Shibboleth deployment. Following the meeting with Jasper Tredgold, the next stage is to install software on the text platform and document details not covered in existing documentation.
- [SY - 20060313] Distillation of C P Snow observations
- [SY - 20060327] Analysis of search requirements
- [GK/SY - 20060313] Install Sakai
- [GK - 20060605] Port SPIE Shibboleth/WSRP to Sakai:
-  (Sakai installation dependency, Sakai Shibboleth authentication dependency) Install Shibboleth/WSRP software locally, and convert to work with Sakai
- [GK - 20060703] Add Shibboleth authentication to Sakai
-  Arrange discussion with SPIE team for advice on Shibboleth-enabling a web application
-  Determine requirements to run member of Shibboleth federation
-  Install Shibboleth toolkit
-  (Sakai installation dependency) Link Sakai authentication to Shibboleth
- [GK - 20060327] Investigate Sakai background technolgies (Spring, JSF)
5. Notes for next meeting
(Matters arising following the meeting)
- [GK/SY - 20060327] 11:00 today, get together to prepare progress report for JISC. DONE.
- [GK/SY - 20060327] Look into mailing list moderation policies, and adjust to allow non-members posts to be accepted with moderation. DONE. The moderation interface seems a bit clunky compared with mailman, but it dioes seem to work almost as we'd like.)
- [GK/SY - 20060313] Install Sakai - Session scheduled for this Friday 09:00-11:00 and continuing later in the afternoon if needed.
Review meeting on 10 April not held due to other activities (OSS conference). The next available slot appears to be 24 April.
-- GrahamKlyne 2006-03-27 09:58:23