Informal openness evaluation of Study Bar
With Study Bar Southampton ECS aim to build an application to replace the TechDis Toolbar and to supplement other tools like those provided by Google and Firefox. To help staff and students irrespective of their skills and abilities when they are interacting with information environments. StudyBar is implemented as Cross browser set of tools and services which may have much wider potential as an open development project (already some interest).
This informal analysis of openness follows that used in A 2007 overview of JISC projects in terms of openness.
Governance and leadership
No website or wiki use in Google Code.
Software that supports accessibility and e-Learning
Semi-open (aims to produce open source software but not quite there).
A google code project accessibility-toolkits has been created and is shared with other projects for from group. Currently only SVN is used. Internally the project use a private ticket system.
Web: HTML etc, DOM
Relationship between projects
Uses on Client: * Firefox * GreaseMonkey
Use on Server: * PHP * Festival text To Speech
Need to make it easier for users and developers to quickly evaluate the project and decide if they want to engage.
- Create Web site or use Google Code Wiki.
Create a release process and provide release tarballs for developers (e.g this process for codegoo )
- Open up the Google group.
Provide developer set-up instructions (e.g These notes from Maavis)
- Improve links between sources of info: LSL page, Google Code and Google Group
- Improve separation of projects on Google Code
- Use tickets (open up currently private system or export existing tickets to Google Code)
- Start using the mail list (group) and/or tickets to capture design decisions. Talk to yourself.
Improve community management
Decide on Governance model - Perhaps start with meritocratic with only one member
Install a CLA to manage contributions
- Discuss IP questions with Rowan
Minimise demand on the developer - make it easy for self service
- Web site / wiki
- Capturing decisions on list/tickets
- Governance model